The Jesuits, or Society of Jesus, are one of the largest religious orders in the Catholic Church. Founded in 1540 by St. Ignatius of Loyola, a Basque nobleman and soldier who found God in all things, the Jesuits have responded to human needs in a variety of ministries throughout the world.
To effectively administer their worldwide operation, the Jesuits created geographical units called "provinces," each governed by a Jesuit priest who holds the title of Provincial Superior. Rockhurst is an apostolate of the Central and Southern Province of the Jesuits.
Fulfilling Ignatius’ Vision
As an apostolate of the Jesuits of the Central and Southern Province, Rockhurst’s identity reflects one of St. Ignatius' visions. In this vision, Ignatius was placed by God the Father with Jesus the Son as a companion, and afterward he was inspired to work with Christ in the task of helping souls. Similarly, the Father partners Rockhurst with Jesus Christ in this same work. We are guided in all things by the Jesuit motto, “Ad majorem Dei gloriam,” or “For the greater glory of God.”
Living the Faith
Rockhurst instills Ignatian values through a variety of opportunities that are integrated into the curriculum and everyday lives of our students.
- Daily Mass
- All-school and class Masses
- Eight semesters of Theology
- Active retreat and community service programs
- Daily morning prayer and reflective silence dedicated to the Examen of Consciousness
- Weekly opportunities for the Sacrament of Reconciliation
If you believe that you, or someone you know, has been abused by a Jesuit or lay person at Rockhurst, you are urged to contact the appropriate law enforcement or child-protection agency in the location in which the incident took place.
- You are also encouraged to contact the Diocese of Kansas City-St Joseph Independent Ombudsman: Joe Crayon at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 816 812-2500
- If the matter involves a Jesuit, You are also encouraged to advise the Jesuits by calling Carol Zarinelli Brescia, MSW, LCSW. She can be reached confidentially by phone at 314-915-7168 or email at email@example.com.